LEARNING BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
Learning at Bedford High School doesn’t stop when the bell goes at the end of the school day. With the challenging new changes to GCSEs ahead, never before has learning beyond the classroom been so important. Recent reliable educational research has determined that homework at secondary school improves the rate of learning by 15% and can advance children’s learning by one whole year.
We are coaching our students to reflect regularly on their learning in lessons so that they build on their learning from the classroom.
- Recap the major knowledge and skills acquired in their 5 daily lessons- “what did we learn?” (Reflection)
- Plan the follow-up learning from each lesson- “what do we need to revisit/revise, test?”
- Practise our learning before our next lesson so that we have mastered it- “practice makes perfect!” (HOMEWORK)
- How can you as parents/guardians help?
Supporting your child:
- Ensure that your child has somewhere quiet to work where there are no distractions.
- Try to ensure that they have the necessary equipment and resources.
- Pose questions about your child’s learning for e.g. Can you tell me what you learnt in lessons today? What was your best learning experience? What did you find difficult? What can you do to get better at this ?
- Encourage your child to attend the homework clubs and catch-up sessions in school.
- Ensure that your child is doing some kind of independent reading. This should be done for at least 30 minutes per evening and will impact positively on their learning in all subjects.
Motivating your child:
- Encourage your child to take the time to complete homework to the best of their ability.
- Recognise, praise and celebrate the good work completed by your child.
- Recognise, praise and celebrate the productive learning habits that your child demonstrates.
- Encourage your child to have a thirst for and love of learning.
- Encourage your child to close the gaps in their learning.
- Encourage your child to access online learning that makes a difference. Try to ensure that your child uses the web to access more learning and less gaming. Avoid the over-use of social media.
Overseeing your child’s homework:
- Always ask your child what their teacher has assigned them to do for homework.
- Check your child’s planner weekly so that you can monitor their homework.
- Check Frog everyday for details of homework. All teachers record homework via Frog and therefore this offers the most reliable tool for information on your child’s homework.
Frog- Virtual Learning Environment.
Frog is a fabulous tool for bridging home and school. As well as key information and letters for parents you will find information on your child’s:
- Screening, progress reports.
- Attendance and punctuality records.
- Behaviour log.
If you need a login for Frog to be reissued to you please go to the school website and click on the ‘need your login details’ on the Homepage. Above this you can find the Frog Parental Portal video guide which will show you how to use Frog. Frog can be accessed by clicking on the blue Frog icon from the Sidebar.